Curious about what's in our All-Over Skin Dew, made with face grade ingredients for use on the face + body? Let’s say hello to our multi-tasking superhero ingredient: Gotu Kola (scientific name is centella asiatica, nickname is cica)
Centella asiatica is a calming and healing ancient herb that has been widely popular in Korean Beauty (K-Beauty). In China, centella has been called one of the “miracle elixirs of life”. In India they refer to it as Brahmi: meaning the “Greatest of the great”. Intriguing, right?
Let's break it down:
Centella asiatica is a perennial herb that grows primarily in Asia. It isn’t a new ingredient by any means and has actually been a staple in traditional Chinese and Ayurveda medicine for centuries. However, recent studies have analyzed its cosmetic benefits (yes, it's actually research backed), sparking popularity in the ingredient. That same scientific study refers to Gotu Kola as a “potential herbal cure-all”. No wonder it’s been used for centuries in healing of the skin, before scientific research was even a thing.
Its numerous benefits are based on its chemical composition. In particular, it’s chock-full of amino acids, beta carotene, fatty acids, and phytochemicals, including vitamins C, A, B1, and B2.
How does this benefit your skin?
- Skin soothing actives boast a powerhouse of anti-inflammatories and antibacterial properties that fight acne and inflammation.
- Rich in antioxidants and amino acids which help soothe and hydrate the skin.
- Its ability to increase blood circulation, thus encouraging the skin’s healing process.
- It is rich in triterpene saponins – a molecule that helps keep skin tighter and firmer – and is packed with flavonoids that help encourage the new production of collagen.
- Can help revitalize skin’s protective barrier, plus may mitigate some of the visible effects of sun damage.
We fell in love with this ingredient, which is why we are so pleased it is one of the many active ingredients in our All-Over Skin Dew. As with anything we apply to our skin, always remember, beauty begins within. Stay content, smile often, take moments for self-care, and nourish your body with what you put in it.